The Bombay High Court today rejected to interfere with state domicile rules for admission in private and minority institutes based on NEET scores.
Therefore, the private colleges will have to admit Maharashtra students under the 85 per cent quota while, the rest 15 per cent is for students outside the state.
Lifting a stay on the admissions to various courses through NEET, the court, however, asked the Maharashtra Government to prepare a separate list for candidates from outside the state, but restrained the government from putting that out without its review.
On September 15, the state government informed the Bombay High Court that the state’s domicile rules, providing reservation of college seats to local students, must protect the interest of students from Maharashtra who cannot take admission in other states owing to similar policies there. It made the argument during a court hearing where applicability of such rules in private unaided medical colleges has been challenged.
Mahatma Gandhi Vidyamandir’s KBH Dental College and Hospital and some students have challenged the rules, which allow reservations in favour of local students, questioning how such domicile rules could be applied in private unaided colleges.
The High Court had on August 30 stayed a government’s resolution that made it mandatory for all deemed medical universities and colleges to follow the NEET merit list for admitting students.
More than 20,000 students had registered for the centralised admission process through NEET for admissions to 1,675 seats in deemed institutes in Maharashtra. The selection list was supposed to be published by September 3, but it was stayed by the High Court till it decides on those petitions.
The petitioners have challenged the rules that allow the benefit of reservation only to local students, questioning how such domicile rules could be applied in private unaided colleges.